This just in from Dr. Jones! If you are in the B-block course/trip Encountering Japan… you may be able to find some help to defray costs. Read on:
We are pleased to announce that funds made available through the President’s Office will help defray costs for two students traveling to Japan in the Spring 2016 B-block courses ARTH 120-04 Encountering Japan: Art, Aesthetics and Society or MGMT 300/MBA 600 Encountering Japan: Business and Society. Two awards of $2,000 each will be available. These are merit-based awards for students with a demonstrated interest in Japanese culture as well as art history and/or business. These awards are made possible by the Levine Endowment, created by Steve ’61 and Michiko Levine to encourage and support the interaction of Alfred University and Asian cultures. The deadline for applications is 5pm February 12, 2016.
Click to page to see all of the Details.
· be enrolled as a full-time student at Alfred University
· have a minimum GPA of 3.0
· upon receipt of the award, enroll in (if not already enrolled in) the B-block course ARTH 120-04 or MGMT 300/MBA 600 (the award is for the course and trip, not just the trip)
The application materials below should be assembled as a single .pdf.
1. Cover letter. Include your name, school/program, anticipated graduation date, GPA, and identification of the course (ARTH 120-04 or MGMT 300/MBA 600).
2. A proposal narrative of up to 750 words that describes:
a) For the ARTH 120-04 award, your interest and background in art history and Japanese culture; For the MGMT 300/MBA 600 award, your interest in Japanese culture and academic achievements to date in business, especially international business.
b) Anticipated outcomes of participation in the course and trip (for the MGMT 300/MBA 600 award, how do you think participation in this course will affect your ability to function successfully as a businessperson?)
3. The name of one reference who is an Alfred University faculty member (other than Dr. Jones or Dr. Rosenthal).
Email the application as a single .pdf attachment to Judy Scott, Secretary for the School of Business, firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than 5pm on February 12, 2016.
The committee will consist of Professors Meghen Jones and Bruce Rosenthal.
· The awards may be granted to students already registered in one of these courses, or students who will register for one of these courses upon receipt of the award.
· The awards will defray the cost of the trip, which is estimated at $4500 total, including round-trip airfare (Toronto-Tokyo), hotel accommodation, transportation within Japan, and most meals.
· More information on the trip can be found here: http://alfred.abroadoffice.net/internal-program-description-Culture-and-Business-of-Japan-157660-123.html.