This week we are looking at (and looking for) color! Much needed on these gray spring days…
Assignment 1: Color Wheel Scavenger Hunt:
- Using the Color Wheel as your guide, find examples of the 12 colors (primary, secondary, tertiary) in your current environment/domestic space. This could be objects, food items, plants, clothing, etc. Be creative!
- Document using your phone and upload to the blog. Find at least 3 examples of each color (36 images total) – you should be able to organize these as a grid in WordPress.
(Red, Red-Orange, Orange, Yellow-Orange, Yellow, Yellow-Green, Green, Blue-Green, Blue, Blue-Violet, Violet, Red-Violet)
Assignment 2: Colors Organized Neatly
- choose 1 hue (color) from the color wheel. Find examples of that color in your environment – household objects, plants, images, clothes, food items, toys, etc.
- Arrange these into an interesting composition inspired from Things Organized Neatly (check out the blog or their Instagram)
also the artist Portia Munson makes some amazing color installations!
- Photograph (with your phone or camera) and upload to the blog*
- Do another arranged object installation (in the style of Things Organized Neatly) with examples of all 12 colors from the spectrum
- Photograph and upload to the blog*
*Remember documentation is key! Choose an appropriate background, consider lighting, arrangement, cropping, etc!!!
COLOR RESEARCH! You have each been assigned a color and artist. Find yours HERE
Assignment 3: Color Research
- Research the history and any interesting facts about your assigned color. Each of these colors have interesting histories/origins/applications
- Find 3-5 examples of your color (this can be from your own environment and/or the internet.
- Upload to your blog
Assignment 4: Artist Research
- You have also been assigned an artist who uses color in interesting ways.
- Research a bit about your assigned artist. Write a brief paragraph about how the artist uses color in their work. What colors are they using? How do the colors contribute to the mood of their works? Are the colors specific to a culture/environment? How is the artist sourcing their color? Is it paint, light, fabric, natural, synthetic? What are your thoughts on their work/color palette?
- Include 3-5 examples of the artists work along with your writing on the blog.
If you need some good listening while you arrange colors, we recommend: